Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Pie surprise

Leave it to the blog to smack some sense into me when I'm feeling all pitiful and sorry for myself. Since I lost my editing job, money has been kinda tight, especially at the beginning of the month when we pay rent. All our utilities are included in our rent, so we lay out one big, honkin' check on the first of every month, and then scrounge in the cabinets for meals and try not to drive any extra so as not to use up gas. It sucks, especially when something happens like a check I wrote 3 weeks ago suddenly clears and we're actually in negative numbers now. The weather this weekend was downright swampy, the kids were whiny, my husband was crabby. And my tummy hurt.

Then Sunday night, I was checking my email and I received this:
Hello Megan – I realize you don’t know me from a hole in the ground but I faithfully read your blogs and articles in Quilter’s Home.  I’ve even passed your blog address along to other people so they too could enjoy your humor.
Anyway – ( I hate saying anywho ) in one of your blog entries you posted a picture of some fabric with cherry pies on it and wondered what kind of quilt you could make with it for your brother.  Well, I looked through my stash (I have a huge stash) and found that same fabric with some red fabric and made you a quilt.  I’ve attached pictures and I really would like for you to have it.  You can send it to your brother, sister, or let one of your kids have it – I just want you to know that I made it for you. 
I’m not the greatest quilter – but I loved your cherry pie story about you and your brother and knew I had to make it.  I also make my quilts a bit different from most people as I live in Memphis, TN and just don’t need a very heavy quilt.  So I sew a patchwork top and then sew the top to a fleece backing.
So if you don’t mind accepting an average made quilt for you or one of your family members – I’d love to send it to you – but I do need your address.
Rest assured that I won’t sell it to any telemarketer (sp?) or post it any where for 1000’s to see or hop in my car and drive to where ever to stalk you.
-Tammy V. 








This is not the first time that someone I do not know has reached out and done something unbelievably kind for me. I even have another one to share with you, but the time isn't quite right for that one yet. Because I really do want the cherry-pie themed item I give to my brother to be made by my hands, I asked Tammy if it would be alright for me to keep this for myself. Because it will  have a special place here in my studio, where I can see it every day, and it will connect me not just to her but to all of you, who read what I have to write and are so dear to me, though I don't know any of you at all, really. And it will always make me think of my brother, and of how he surprised he was to become the object of so much overwhelming love and concern. Because it still surprises me how much of that same kind of love comes my way, too.

Thank you, Tammy.

24 comments:

Kat said...

This makes my heart melt. :-)

Dana Gaffney said...

I'm crying with you, Megan, happy tears. That is so wonderful, I love when a stranger reaches out.

Cherie in St Louis said...

Yes, yes, happy tears...nothing like the kindness of strangers to tilt your world back on it's axis and get your equilibrium back.

Kelly said...

Thanks to you both! Now we can all bask in a little extra love today! (And can't we all use a little extra love?)

Angels are all around us. I guess we all know one of them is named Tammy!

Lisa Sipes said...

Amazing! It's things like this that restore my faith in humanity. Love it. =]

Baskets Of Quilts said...

This is why i always love your blog. I never know if I'm going to laugh hysterically or cry because it's so touching. What a nice thing for a stranger to do!

cockermom said...

Such a sweet thought and a lovely thing to do. What a wonderful person!

Monica said...

I just want you to know that if I make you a quilt, I should have the right to stalk you at least for a month and have the ability to post your number on various bathroom stalls in Austin, TX...''for a mediocre time call:......" BUT, I will include a titanium seam ripper into the deal. How's that sound?

Megan said...

Monica, it's a deal. I'll be expecting my quilt shortly.

Deanna said...

We have been through a tough part too, for the past quite a while, but we have always come through. Often it has been strangers (or unknown friends) that helped. Sometimes with big things and often with small gestures. Little things that let us know we are not forgotten or alone. Hang in there. Things will work out.

Sarah Craig said...

The best quilts are ones with stories - and this is a great story! No matter how fancy or plain the quilt, the story makes the quilt special. Way to go, Memphis!! Nashville salutes you!!

Nancy said...

what a lovely woman...

Sew Here We Are said...

Those who bless others usually end up being blessed. Ya know Karma and all that jazz....Your in a unique position Megan..where you really do affect others lives in one way or another...Giving Joy brings out the best in us all :-)

deborah said...

It is comforting to see there are compassionate people left out in the big old world!! How very kind of her to send you a quilt. We are all friends out here in blog land, and she had a very lovely way of showing it!

Vicki W said...

Quilters are the best people! That's a wonderful story!

Anonymous said...

Deborah says:

The sweetest thing!

See? I told you you were necessary to the universe!

And so is Tammy.

PS - I hope the financial thing eases up for you. It sucks. My husband was laid off in January and still hasn't found a job.

Oh well. The thing to remember is:

WAITT! (We're all in this together!) It really does help.

Lady Beekeeper said...

Awwww. That is so nice.

You hang in there - I hope things get better, soon.

Molly said...

Megan,

This post made me laugh and cry...thanks so much for sharing your life like you do.
It's always amazing to rediscover that love is all around us, isn't it?

Gene Black said...

Gee that best I would have done is tell you who online had the fabric on sale.
Okay, maybe I am better than I think, but don't hold your breath. (I did cry a little bit-dang it!)

Lori said...

There are some really WONDERFUL people out there!

Tammy V. said...

Hello Megan - just an FYI - your quilty package will be delivered on 6/10/10 before 4:30 PM - enjoy and thanks for all the love - Tammy V.

Wendy said...

Megan, it tells you what a special person you are to have such special things done for you. Really sweet!

Rick said...

It's nice to know there are so many kind folks around. Sometimes, you wonder :).

Megan said...

It arrived this morning! I'm all curled up in bed with it now, having been knocked down by stomach flu. It's wonderful and I'll post pics of it in action as soon as walking to the computer doesn't make me pass out.